CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

author's note

Im so sorry that Ive been recasting all of the characters so many times. Im really fussy about it, and I wanted them all to look good together. I really hope they do now, because I think Ive settled on a permanent cast. sorry, again. and thank you all for reading.
- Andrew (author)

Monday, March 16, 2009

They Say That If You're Not Lonely Alone, Boy There's Something Wrong With You

They say the Devil's water is ain't so sweet, you don't have to drink right now but you can dip your feet in every once in a little while.

Although my emotions were largely shut off and I almost never spoke, I continued going to the group that Madison had forced me to go to. I didn't think it helped in any way but there was a silent code that once they accepted you into their world, it would be betraying them to leave. Hayden and the others had that silent code.
Hayden. She was the only one I could commit to memory. He smile, her voice, her habits, the way she walked. She was so different from anyone I'd ever known. It felt almost sweet to let her inside my memory.
Something that bothered me was that I didn't know why any of them were here. They must have all been sick but Hayden seemed to be fighting back so much better than Maddox.
Maddox was difficult to forget. His voice was hard and his expression was cold and unforgiving. Whatever his disease was, somewhere in his mind he must have already decided that he wasn't going to make it.
But Maddox wasn't the only one I tried not to remember.
Brooklyn.
The way in which she did things, the way she spoke, and the way she looked wasn't what made me want to shut her out of my memories. The last group meeting I had gone to was what made me afraid to remember her. She and I came down to the room where the meetings were held and she held the door. A simple gesture but unforgettable was what I saw. On the inside of her arm, she had a few light scars. And in the crook of her arm was a fine little hole. But positioned just right that I knew what it meant. She had been on drugs.
I tried to tell myself that it was just a treatment at the clinic, but it still bothered me. I hadn't cared about anyone but Madison for so long, I didn't want to let myself worry about Brooklyn.
Saving me from the memory, I suddenly became aware of the cold feeling of eyes looking at me even though I was asleep. I quickly opened my eyes.
"Hayden?"
Hayden was sitting next to my bed just watching me sleep. They left the doors open during visiting hours meaning I must have slept longer than I thought.
"Morning, bright eyes!"
"What are you doing here?" She seemed slightly offended by my question. But she smiled anyway.
"Just being friendly."
I looked around the room for Madison but found that she wasn't there, probably on one of her walks.
"I hate being alone, I can't imagine anyone enjoying that feeling of loneliness and slow steady death." My eyes widened and I looked down. Slow steady death. If you sat still long enough, you really could feel it.
"Sorry." she said, clearly sensing my pain. "I have some friends in the clinic so it's hard for me to imagine being not having somebody you know here with you."
I sighed.
"My sister Madison is here with me." Her eyes widen and she looked surprised.
"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry!" I shook my head, knowing her initial thought was wrong.
"She's not sick. I'm the only family she has." She looked sympathetic although I was sure she wasn't and would never be in my situation.
"I have Brooklyn."
The name shook me. Brooklyn?
"We've been friends since before... I knew I was sick. She got here before me but now we're here together. Even though I wish we out there together, being together makes it a lot easier."
Brooklyn and Hayden. I never would have thought. I spoke without thinking.
"Did she do drugs?" Once the question had already escaped my lips, I realized just how rude of a thing that was to say.
Hayden looked down and swallow hard. This reaction made me almost sure that she had but I still waited for words.
"Heroin." She looked up and continued. "There's a reason we all got sick enough to be sent here. Heroin is hers."
So it really was true. Brooklyn was a beat darker then even me.
"How did that bring her here?"
"She has AIDS, Jasper." she stood up. "If you want to know anything else, I'd really prefer you talk to her."
I stuttered. I wanted to say anything to make her stay.
"Why are you here, Hayden?"
She hesitated. As if she didn't know.
"Breast cancer. But the doctors say I'm on the brink of recovery." She paused and nodded toward me. "You?"
Lucky her. She was almost better. I still was waiting for matching marrow. And I wasn't sure it was coming any time soon.
"Acute leukemia."
She rested her hand on my own hand. She looked sad and suddenly drained of color.
"You're not doing well, are you?"
Was I?
She looked back at me, away from my frail hand.
"Just take care of yourself. I think part of getting better is will power. You have to want to get better first"
She was right, but I still doubted what I even had to come back to. The only thing I needed was Madison, and she was here with me.
She smiled.
"Don't give up so soon, bright eyes."
And then she left, she was gone. Not forever, but for now. Leaving me in silence.
That last feeling I had was her hand slipping out of mine.

3 reviews:

Molly Miss Brightside said...

yay! you finally posted again!
you know, it's been almost a whole MONTH!!
but getting back to the post. i was awesome, as usual! you really have excellent phrasing and fluidity! i love reading what you write!
Jasper's in love with Hayden, isn't he??
i'm probably wrong, but you never know! well, you do but i don't!
later!

Molly

Molly Miss Brightside said...

oops! when i said "i was awesome" i meant "it was awesome!" dang typo!

Molly

Anonymous said...

you've got a serious talent, kid.
it makes the rest of us look like petty wannabes...
but no worries.
use the talent.
give panamah a serious name in this world.
kick ass, andrew!